Garden Apothecary Inc. Policies
Garden Apothecary's mission is to offer our community a connection to nature through the experience of our products and our lovely garden, in Half Moon Bay. Through our thoughtfully designed, organic herbal teas, skincare products, plants and handmade gifts, we hope to inspire and remind people of the magic of connecting to nature everyday.
Please thoroughly read our policies below. We hold a high expectation of even the simplest task, to be done with appropriate care and attention. This information isn’t an all-inclusive document, but it offers a good overview of the work environment and policies.
Code of Conduct
Being situated in a small town gives us opportunity to constantly hone the skills of politeness, great customer service, appropriate decorum and thoughtfulness not only to our customers but to the other businesses around us. We strive to have positive attitudes and professionalism with each interaction, in and out of the work place. We believe in honesty, high standards, kindness and effort. All language used in discussing our products should be inspired directly from Jenn and the website. Clear communication with Jenn and co-workers is required. This means responding to emails, calls and texts within a timely manner, and making time to ask any clarifying questions.
We do not give out Jenn's personal information or our venders information. If there is an issue, concern or a customer has a problem you cannot support, you can give them Jenn's email address.
You are not to interact with aggressive or inappropriate customers. If you feel threatened, ask the person to leave and call 911, call Jenn or Marie.
- Arrive at the start of your shift to open the door at exactly 10am or a few minutes sooner.
- Clock in.
- Review the notes either written on Slack or Google Keep Notes.
- Count the till. Make adjustments or notes if something is off from $300. in the till. If you have questions, text the person who worked before you, and/or leave a note in the deposit bag with details on any discrepancies, with your name and date.
- Turn on lights. Turn music on.
- Blow sidewalks, water plants, clean hoop house items, and organize/merchandise anything that looks untidy.
- Tidy plants by dead-heading, trimming dead leaves, fixing broken stems, adding mulch if roots are showing, wiping down pots if muddy, erecting price and name tags, etc.
- Rotate plants and flats.
Slack and Google Keep Notes has notes on cleaning tasks and to-do's. Below are important things to do constantly in the garden. You should rarely have more than an hour down time on a slow day in the shop. See below - and you can always ask for more tasks if needed.
- Mist and shake out tillandsia's. This can be done up to 2x a day, if it's warm and sunny.
- Dusting and Deeper Cleaning - especially the beauty, tea and food items and sweeping outside.
- Straighten displays, including the bagged teas. Our teas, skincare products/samples and displays should always look perfect.
- Organizing behind the counter, in the container, in the garden.
- Water the garden, pots, plants. This needs to be done twice a day - depending on the weather. Other garden tasks include pulling weeds, trimming dead flowers or yellowing leaves, etc. Our plants should always look perfect. You are welcome to rake leaves in the garden, cultivate the soil, trim. Be mindful of the drip irrigation system.
- Write notes to co-workers to clarify something I have explained, new merchandise details, questions, etc.
- Unpack and inventory any packages that arrive. Alert the team in the Merch channel.
- Bring all tools that can rust inside the container.
- Double check that nothing is wilted.
- Turn off generator.
- Count till to exactly $300. Leave drop in your day's drop bag in the deposit bag. Make change as needed. Leave a detailed note inside the drop bag if there is any discrepancies.
- Collect garbage. Add new liner from the closet.
- Leave your closing note on Slack, lock up, and clock out.
- Mandatory Breaks and Lunch
All employees are to take mandatory breaks.
You are expected to come to your shift fueled up and ready for work. Please do not eat breakfast or get ready (do make-up, etc.) once you have clocked in.
Phone use is permitted within reason.
Permission for Time Off
New Employee Info
Garden Apothecary is committed to an enjoyable working environment and relationships with our employees. We observe equal opportunity employment. Garden Apothecary won’t tolerate discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Here are some details for recently hired Garden Apothecary employees. Please email Jenn with any questions, and when set up is complete.
- Payroll info is completed by Square. You will receive an email from them to set up your payroll info. Be sure to check your spam folder if you do not see it.
- Square is your "Time Clock", located in the Square app on the iPad. You have a customer identification number will get a email from Square confirming this.
- You will have access to the Google Calendar. Be sure to always use your name and color when adjusting the schedule (after Jenn's approval).
- Please download, read and sign the company Non-Disclousure Agreement, and return to Jenn. Keep a copy for yourself.
- After filling out all of the forms and reading this page thoroughly, please send Jenn an email stating you have read and understood all of the information and expectations. If you have any questions, please contact Jenn immediately.
- Privacy and security is important in the shop and on the internet. Please thoroughly read, sign and submit our Non-Disclosure Agreement.
- Use of company tools and items is strictly for company tasks, not personal needs.
Your employment with Garden Apothecary is a voluntary one and is subject to termination by you or Garden Apothecary at will, with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in these policies shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Garden Apothecary employees.
This policy of employment-at-will may not be modified by any officer or employee and shall not be modified in any publication or document. The only exception to this policy is a written employment agreement approved at the discretion of the President or the Board of Directors, whichever is applicable.
These personnel policies are not intended to be a contract of employment or a legal document.
- Read up on your sick leave rights, here.
- You are now a part of our membership to The Herbarium. To learn more about the herbs we sell, please use this site whenever you see fit. Keep the link and password to yourself. Login - email@example.com - Password - attenuata329
- If you have questions regarding your pay or sick time payment, please call or email Marie.
- If you feel in danger, the shop has been broken into or that there has been a sizable theft, call 911 (or the number on the card in the cash drawer), then Jenn 650-504-4073.
- We have 2 active cameras that are exclusively monitored by Jennifer Lee Segale. These are monitored for customer theft as well as employee evaluation. If you have any questions or feel uncomfortable about the cameras, please speak with Jenn at any time.
- Coastside Local (Pacifica, Montara, Moss Beach, El Granada, HMB, Pescadero) get our 5% “Locals Discount” at your discretion.